Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Where is the life?


I recently bumped into a old classmate of mine working in the medical profession at one of the hospitals. Quite honestly, he looks like shit. He's younger than I am but he looks like 10 years my senior. Haggard, balding and with a hint of discontent with the way life has worked out for him. We sat for coffee and he asked what I was doing. I said I was inbetween jobs because I'm looking to change my life and to take a different route.

"At this age? How can you still be so immature?"

Immature? There's nothing wrong with NOT wanting to work 80% of my life and spend the other 20% resting. Do your own mathematics. Seriously, look at this chap. SIX days a week, he works a 12-hour shift. He's 32 but he's not dated for almost SIX years. He's well paid but hopelessly single. Another 8 years, he'll be the 40-year-old virgin. He spends his only off-day in the week resting from the long hours of work. He doesn't have any social skills or a FUCKING life. The so-called social outings he goes to are with his colleagues (on his OFF DAY!). So when are you going to enjoy life? When you're 55 and all the illnesses start setting in? Withdraw your CPF and then check yourself back into the very hospital that you spent 3/4 of your life working at? And what's the meaning of living when you have to spend MOST of the time working and not have time for yourself, or your family, or your love ones.

And to make matters worse... accordingly, the staff within his department are not supposed to date each other and etc. That's seriously fucked-up considering the fact that the only people you see most of your life are the fucking idiots at work. You call this living? Sorry, I don't subscribe to being a slave to the system. Life is not terribly long and if one dedicates a major percentage of it to WORK... I'm really sad for you for not being able to stroll and "smell the roses". Life is not just about WORK, in my honest opinion. Sure you need to work to have money in order to LIVE... but my question to you is : WHERE IS YOUR LIFE?

If your life starts each day with this...



... then you seriously need to rethink before it's too late.

So who's living the life? Him or me? I've been parts of the world that he hasn't even heard before. I've experienced things that he probably read about in books (that is if he has the time). So what if you're drawing a huge paycheck and you can't even enjoy it? Making ends meet is one thing, working to NO END is another thing altogether.

3 Comments:

At 8:50 AM, Blogger Keishi said...

I have had the chance to think about this in the last couple of months. Confused as I always am - I realised with different people, there are no right or wrong - it's always a personal thing and he should not hv judged you or vice versa. It's what appeals to each person's needs, wants or desires.

For him, perhaps the saving factor is money - hey at least he's earning quite a bit and perhaps, that brings him happiness. (Money IS able to buy happiness to come extent!)

The point is ... being happy is relative to each. I don't believe there isn't a single definition of happiness. e.g. traveling the world does not necessarily equate happiness.

No matter how we think crappy SG is, for every one person who think it sucks, there will be another who thinks its the best place on earth - just like every countryman in their own country.

But enough of the rant/ bulls**t - hv a good day!!

 
At 11:44 PM, Blogger Adminstrator said...

wah... keishi starting to rant! heee!

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger Keishi said...

Ya getting old. Need to talk to computer. =O

 

Post a Comment

<< Home