Thursday, November 08, 2007

Once a Mode-y... always a Mode-y


Oh, little girl
There are times when I feel
I rather not be
The one behind the wheel


I've almost forgotten how twisted, dark and coincidental Depeche Mode's lyrical content are. The first time I got into them was when everyone were still listening to cheesy European crap like "Square Rooms" was after I got my heartbroken for the first time in the same year of my GCE "O" Levels. The album was "Some Great Reward" and there was no turning back after that.

The song was "It Doesn't Matter". The delivery and lyrics may be hard to contrived at first but in times of loneliness and despair, they will hit you like a 3-tonne truck.

"It doesn't matter, if this all shatters
Nothing lasts forever
But I'm praying that we're staying
Together."

Ever since, I went into anything that has got to do with synthesizers... Erasure, New Order, Yazoo and etc. Thus started my dive into electronica.

Till today, I still go back to Depeche Mode whenever I feel lousy or down. No matter how old the album(s) are, they sound timeless and they kind of remind me that it's okay to fall because we're human after all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home