Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Imogen Heap - "Hide & Seek"

With this day and age of the internet, we all know how it has changed the way we listen and expose ourselves to music beyond the traditional media. Even purchasing trends have changed.

If someone actually took a poll on how the bulk of music buyers worldwide felt about digital music distribution, they'll find that a lot of them agree that it's more convenient than going to a store and that it's environmentally-friendlier. Ok, that was my point actually. But really...

Ged Doherty, the UK head of Sony BMG said that CD sales would drop 50% in just 3 years. The digital music sales will grow 25% per year and that will not offset the decline in CD sales leaving the industry 30% behind in terms of revenues by 2010.

Why so? I used to work in the music industry too and believe when I say that they're very much still caught in their 80s business template where label chiefs draw shamefully high salaries. Their stubborness and inability to adapt and reinvent is going to be their grave markers. Nowadays, as an artiste, you need not even be signed to get your music heard all over the world.

Anyway, to illustrate... I came across
Imogen Heap through the many shady "mash-up bootleg" sites and immediately, this haunting tune stood up. She's from the group Frou Frou and back then, I already thought that her voice is amazing. In "Hide & Seek", it's just her voice with some vocal filters... no instruments but it speaks volumes! End of night tune... for me at least! Nonetheless, I ended buying her album on iTunes because I don't think any of the crappy music shops in Singapore will stock her. Even if they did, it'll still be cheaper via iTunes. Don't ask me how I'm able to do that. Be savvy.



Where are we?
What the hell is going on?
The dust has only just begun to fall
Crop circles in the carpet
Sinking feeling...

1 Comments:

At 11:17 PM, Blogger Progressive Tuition said...

Imogen Heap! yea her voice is amazing. even during live shows. I love the song.. "Goodnight and Go".. NICE!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home