Tuesday, November 21, 2006

"Skew me, who he?"

I've been unearthing through a lot of my stuff lately, going through symbolic items pertaining to the many past events in my life. One of which is a record album by X'ho (pronounced Chris Ho). For those uninitiated, Chris is "forever 27", and he is best-known for his smooth voice as a radio presenter (he's on Lush 99.5). Some will know him for his avant-garde music taste and approach to life. Others know him as a Life! columnist with the main paper and his tongue-in-cheek articles on Big O magazine. A small handful like me will always know him as an inspiration, although I've never said it to him, even though we know each other.

I still admire the way he follows what he believes in and did the things he has the passion for; even though sometimes it meant going against the mainstream school of thought. In a way, my non-conformist persona is very much a poor carbon-copy of Chris. I pale pathetically in comparison especially when it comes to his body tattoo collection :)

Chris, if you happen to read this, I want to thank you for the impact you made.

I'm putting the record on now, sitting back and recollecting to the year when this particular song hit me in the face when I first heard it. It was circa 1991 - 1992. My memory ain't working so well now. Afterall, I'm only "forever 32" and "mellowing out" seems like a very tempting idea right about now.

"Here I am, I'm thinking again
I think too much and I feel too much
Unwisely connecting, preserving and coaxing
It wasn't a drama though I'm mellowing out
Bit by bit and year by year
But I think I went
Deeper than just an affair
Deeper..."
Lyrics by Chris Ho

7 Comments:

At 11:42 PM, Blogger Adminstrator said...

I never thought anyone else actually knows the song! But somehow I'm not surprised at all, that of all people, you know it! :)

Ah... Private Space... thus were the days! Brings a tear to my eye!

"How qing liang!"

Awww... *slaps self*... WAKE UP! :p

 
At 11:44 PM, Blogger Adminstrator said...

I think X'ho will be surprisingly shocked that there are at least TWO people on the island that actually relates to this RARE CLASSIC!

I better stop listening... I want to cry now.

 
At 11:45 PM, Blogger Adminstrator said...

Go check out Jimmy Van M's 3 CD Balance 010 CD... sick to the core... downtempo, midtempo and digweedy 4/4.

 
At 1:27 AM, Blogger Adminstrator said...

You know what... next time maybe we walk up to X and then start singing it... ok bad idea.

yah... listening to it again...

too painful indeed...

stop bawling, kai... later teacher not happy. heeee!

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger Adminstrator said...

Sad to hear that, mate. Alas, life goes on. At least you got to know the advantages of face masking. :)

Yah... let us sing it in front of X'ho and watch him cry in agony... hahaha!

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger X' Ho said...

OMG, I'm 5 yrs behind on this! Thanx very-very much. For the Deeper collector.. trivia abt the song: I went to the studio one day w/ a headful of Suzanne Vega spillin fr my melody-mind. My guitarist in Zircon Lounge - Yeow played this mellow riff & together we wrote The Fuse, then left it. When Dick Lee asked for a song from me fr his Connections album, I played him it. It had lyrics about a bleeding foreskin & stuff (u know me!). Dick liked it alot & said he cant possibly be singing "bleeding foreskin" & suggested an edit & change of title, hence Deeper. I owe the song to Dick, or it wouldn't be heard. Only Mark Richmond was keen on promoting it back then on 987FM. I thank him too. It's based on a real relationship w/ someone Thai. Same person that made me write Cold In Buriram (Class Acts 2), which now begs for a Deeper kind of re-recording treatment fr producer George Leong (who did a marvelous job producing Deeper) & he's been talkin abt it for a while. Perhaps, one day.. It's kinda like Deeper.

 
At 12:21 PM, Blogger X' Ho said...

..FOR Dick's Connections album, I mean.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home