Thursday, April 26, 2007

Lying in bed the past two days, nursing a high temperature, a bad throat and body aches. Very much left to one's own devices, I decided to indulge in my favourite label of all time. Blue Note. A shock to many but my first real music liking was never dance music. It was jazz. By jazz, I don't mean bastardized crap like Kenny G or Dave Koz. I mean real bluesy jazz, with it's rich glorifying history... and nothing quite describe the hair-raising magic of a dusty Thelonious Monk vinyl, crackling over a gramophone. Well, for me a least.

Hard to comprehend such music? Well, if you kind of dig modern day jazz / blues hybrids like Norah Jones... I don't thing it's that hard to appreciate music with roots. For those that are interest to know more... read
this. Then again, jazz has always been an "individual thang".


As we know it, the bar and cafe culture is becoming a more preferred choice across many demographics today as compared to the tried-and-tested dizzy clubbing outings. I've been to several parts of the world and one of the best places I've been so far is the Blue Note Cafe in Taipei. Many such cafes have sprung up all over the whole paying homage to perhaps the greatest recording label in jazz. One thing, before I die, I'd like to visit the Blue Note Jazz Club in New York and catch the living legend Dizzy Gillespie. That would be my mecca... to smoke a cuban (cigar), sip Irish coffee and lose myself in the blues. Several of such bars failed to survive here... it's hard too when you have the general public having the grave perception that Michel Buble is jazz.



For those that are still stumped? Yukun likes jazz? Well, there's a whole lot more of music that I like that no one knows. It's just a question of not having a tunnel vision and opening up to the many wonderful genres out there.

Off to bed again and it's back to work on Friday. Hooray... :p

2 Comments:

At 11:40 PM, Blogger razaq said...

Micheal Buble is crap!! name me one song that is his, or belong to him.... or his own composition.

Norah Jones...? I prefer Indiana Jones.

Try Monday Michiru - the early albums....

 
At 12:34 AM, Blogger Adminstrator said...

Hahaha... Mr Buble... what kind of surname is that in the first place? Don't mean to burst anyone's bubble... but... ahhahahaha.

Norah Jones... I only like the stuff she did with Wax Poetic as a sessions singer. urban jazz... mmmmm...

Indiana Jones... well, rumour has it that a sequel is in the planning.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home