Friday, December 15, 2006

We really love Hong Kong


I left Hong Kong in 1999, after 2 years of working there as an "imported talent". 6 years on, despite an odd short visit now and then, I still kind of miss it. Perhaps because it gave me my very first breath of independence, to be on my own and exploring every bit of the country when I could. Nothing can quite take away the attachment or the sense of experiencing some life-altering adventures for the very first time... like the thrill of learning some really cool Cantonese swear words... which I still use on some rare days.


Above is Happy Valley; the district hosting the famous horse racing course. I resided at the Happy Court apartments where I got stung by a wasp which was in one of my boots. The pain was so excruciating that my entire right leg was completely paralysed! The winters and typhoons were downright wicked! They still are. Friends that came over and crashed with me can swear how freaking wonderful the year-end weather is... especially when they came unprepared and had their testicles frozen.


Ah... the ever busy Causeway Bay, where my office was. It's about a good 20 minute walk from my apartment and I only walked home on days when I felt frustrated with work. Otherwise, I was pretty much localized to use the mini-bus services. Hell, I even curse at the driver(s) sometimes. Thankfully, I also had a pair of good running feet.


Above is the tourist trap known as Tsim Sha Tsui. Shopping galour with endless streets and lanes of quaint offerings. Was never really my cup of tea but I just had to help contribute to Hong Kong's economy by bringing mates there to spend their money. Do note that I didn't even help them bargain. If only I drew a commission!


Here's where most of the "gwailos" (caucasians) and locals kind off gather for a drink or two. I DJed for a while during weekends at two clubs here. Milk Bar and '97. It pathed the way for me to meet some of the key movers of their club scene. And I learnt how to cook some pasta dishes from a really friendly Italian chef there. No, his name was not Mario. I think it's Luigi or something along that line.


Food wise, I usually would recommend rounds at the night market on Temple Street... both from legal and illegal food stall holders offering a wide variety of local grub. However, during the first time I chanced upon "smelly tou fu", I presented the stall holder with my semi-digested lunch. Once again, I'm thankful that I've quick feet. Unfortunately, one of my friends didn't and was forced to eat a dozen of those rancid fried crap.


My personal fave hangout has got to be Nathan Road (Mongkok). Yes, there's food and there's more food. But what really stood out was this building, which had shops and shops offering "affordable" DVDs, VCDs and music CDs. Ran by the traids, who basically can never be eradicated completely. Authorities close one today, 3 similiar shops appear. Viva la revolution! I'm grateful for them, without which, I would've never gotten to enjoy so many weekends of South Park and Japanese manga.

Besides the above, there are still plenty about Hong Kong that I really miss, besides the good friends that I made there. Being there 2 years give me the great opportunity to discover things about it that tourist would never get to see or do, like joining in a street protest and throwing eggs at the American Embassy. Perhaps the greatest thing that made the country so unique? It has no GST. You knew that was coming, didn't you ;P

Bird-flu and SARS aside, Hong Kong is still a very cool city by all standards.

1 Comments:

At 11:10 AM, Blogger Adminstrator said...

Tommy Chan! Oh my god! You know him too? Small world. Did you know he's a non-related relative of Jackie Chan? OK, that was so not funny at any levels at all!

Tommy's a laugh if you met him... great Hongkie Engrish that's a real hoot!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home